Maine winters are long and cold. Fortunately Maine birders have the arrival of various species to buffer the passage of time.
- Late January, the first Turkey Vultures arrive
- Late February, the first Red-Winged Blackbirds appear
- Late March, Eastern Phoebes and Ospreys are seen
For me, the true sign of spring is the arrival of the Palm Warbler, a tiny yellow bird with a rusty red cap. Palm Warblers pump their tails up and down and are the first warblers to show each spring.
- In 2020, I saw my first Palm Warbler on April 7.
- In 2021, my first Palm Warbler arrived on April 8.
- The 2022 arrival was April 6.
This year (2023), despite considerable effort, I didn’t find a Palm Warbler until April 11. GASP!!!!